Executive Director, B*tch Media
Reports to: Board of Directors
Salary: $80,000-$85,000 annually
Location: Remote. Office in Portland, OR
Who We Are:
Bitch Media is a 501(c)(3) feminist nonprofit media organization on a mission to provide and encourage an engaged, thoughtful feminist response to mainstream media and popular culture.
As we enter 2021, Bitch Media is searching for an Executive Director to lead us into the future.
Founded in 1996, Bitch has grown from an award-winning magazine to a go-to feminist voice in the digital age. Bitch Media is in print with Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture, online at bitchmedia.org, on the air with our podcasts, Popaganda and Backtalk, on campuses around the world via Bitch on Campus, and is amplifying emerging voices through our quarterly Bitch Media Writing Fellowships.
Bitch is more than a media outlet—we’re a world-changing, movement-making, uncompromising, and diverse community. Currently, the majority of our staff are people of color, as well as women or non-cisgender-male identifying. The vast majority of contributors are women-identified, and about half of all our contributors in 2019 were people of color. By creating opportunities for women and people of color to gain vital experiences in media, we strive for a more diverse future for American journalism.
We produce media that transforms pop culture through the collective strength of our reader-driven community. We strive to be a fresh, revitalizing voice in contemporary feminism, one that welcomes complex arguments and refuses to ignore the contradictory and often uncomfortable realities of life in an unequivocally gendered world. Bitch Media has a broad reach, with a community of readers, listeners, and writers from around the globe.
Who We Are Hiring:
The Executive Director (ED) bears responsibility for all executive, strategic, programmatic, financial, and management functions of Bitch Media. The Executive Director works closely with the board and staff on strategy, policy making, and organizational planning.
The Executive Director serves as a passionate, visionary leader for the organization whose primary charge is to uphold and articulate Bitch Media’s mission and vision to both internal and external audiences.
The responsibilities of this role include but are not limited to:
- Establishing strategic and programmatic direction for the organization.
- Execute a successful and diversified fundraising strategy to grow the organization with the participation supported by key staff and Board of Directors
- Strengthening Bitch Media’s leadership position in the feminist media movement.
- Providing effective management, guidance, and mentoring to empower a dedicated team of staff.
Skills to be Exhibited in Key Areas:
Strategic Planning and Vision: Actively lead the board of directors and staff in a strategic planning process inclusive of financial objectives, programmatic focus and aspirational goals.
Fundraising: Understanding the power of independence as a nonprofit, actively plan for and solicit donations from individuals, corporations and foundations. Work with staff to develop a case for support for subscribers and readers. Look beyond the standard donors to find opportunities for revenue growth and expansion that are effective, meaningful and implementable.
Management: Understanding of servant leadership and consensus building as tools to empower staff in making decisions, enacting decisions and being accountable to our readers, community and each other. Use the skills, talents and expertise of staff to build a healthy organization representative of our values. Fully understand the role of the executive director as leader, partner, supporter and implementor.
Innovation: Understanding and connections within the media community bring innovative strategies and opportunities to the organization. Build and maintain partnerships with media, feminists and social justice partners that enable our movement to grow. Be the public face of Bitch Media while highlighting the work and success of our community.
Communication: Understanding how to evaluate and best convey a consistent message across different audiences, e.g. donors, staff, readership. Clarity and confidence in all communication with a goal of building and maintaining trust in all relationships
- 5 - 7 years of experience working with media, social justice, activist, philanthropic, or political organizations
- 5+ years of demonstrated track-record of successful fundraising and donor development
- 5+ years of nonprofit financial and organizational management
- Demonstrated understanding of media landscape and climate
- Demonstrated ability to lead onsite as well as virtual/remote teams
- Commitment to working collaboratively with the Board of Directors
- Excellent oral and written communications as well as presentation skills
- Willingness to travel, as appropriate
Nonprofit Professionals Now is pleased to be working with Bitch Media on this key leadership position. Applications submitted to the online portal will be fully reviewed and considered. Applications will need to include a resume, cover letter and completion of screening questions.
Application Deadline: January 16, 2021
- Fully covered employee only health and dental insurance
- Flexible health spending plan
- Employee wellness program
- Paid vacation and sick time
- 401k with employer matching
- Remote work benefit